May 1, 2012

Oddfellows Burger Kitchen


So this past weekend my mom came down to visit and take back a bunch of things I had packed-up (it always amazes me how much crap I accumulate each year!). For awhile I had been trying to talk her into going to this burger joint in Ames that has a "kooky-retro" atmosphere called Oddfellows.


I cannot even begin to capture how much love I have for this place. I just wish I had went there sooner. 


Oddfellows is known for The Oddfellow Burger (a bacon cheeseburger with a glazed doughnut as the bun) and The Oddfellow Drink (a one quart mason jar with an alcoholic blue concoction. So you get a feel they cap the limit at 2 per person). Needless to say I tried both (keep in mind that this was 11:00 a.m. on a Sunday).


It was so good!! I got a side of their mac 'n' cheese as well. And you think that the glazed doughnut would make it disgusting but when the sweet mixes in with the bacon and burger along with the slight spice from the jack cheese.....my mouth is watering just writing about it.


My mom with a "safer" choice in burger, The Swiss 'Shroom. It was huge and had an almost bisuit-ish kind of bun. We also got an order of Oddfellows' onion rings, which weren't what we expected. They were almost like a shredded onion string that were lightly battered and extra crispy.


So here is our "Sunday Breakfast of Champions!" My eyes are rolling to the back of my head just thinking about how delicious all this food was (did I take that too far...probably...).


To cap off the experience, my mom and I shared the Banana Cream Cheesecake. It was the perfect blend to two of my favorite desserts, banana cream pie and cheesecake with a grahm cracker crust. Heavenly!

So if you are ever in the Ames, IA area and want a great, unique eating experience be sure to check out Oddfellows Burger Kitchen (I'm going again for graduation). You will not be disappointed!





(I also want to thank all of you for your kind words on last weeks post. Just writing that poem really helped, but seeing everyone's encouraging comments made the "haunting words" even less powerful. Thank you!)

2 comments:

  1. You had my interest piqued with the mention of burgers (LOVE them)but I'm not so sure I can go for the donut bun. I do pass through Ames on my way to Minneapolis so I appreciate the recommendation, so maybe I will get to stop in someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Send them to Honolulu, please?!? :)

    ReplyDelete