July 12, 2012

From the Book Stack: The Hunger Games By Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games By Suzanne Collins

Amazon | Goodreads

374 pages

Published: October 31, 2008 by Scholastic Inc.

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, the shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before--and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.


Okay, okay….I know I am a little behind on this one (I mean come on there is even a movie now). Let’s be honest, I was kind of avoiding this book like the plague. It seemed to be getting a lot of the hype, a lot like Twilight (*shudders* one thing I will never understand, but that is another story of itself) so I just had a bitter taste in mouth. So what changed my mind? Amazon had it for $5 and I figured eh, why not? If I didn’t like it, it wouldn’t be a total loss. Plus, I needed that $5 to qualify for free shipping. Smile

It spent quite a few months on the shelf, but last week I finally cracked it open. And to my surprise, it was AWESOME!! So, awesome that I read it in two days, something I haven’t done since I had to write book reports for school. Let me just run through my thoughts and feelings for those two days:

  • This is kind of slow
  • Okay I got all this from the movie trailer
  • This is just all kinds of messed up
  • Aww, he loves her
  • Wait, what?
  • Alright, here we go
  • What is that, heart palpitations?
  • Am I having a heart attack?
  • This is so intense
  • OH MY GOD
  • Oh no he didn’t
  • And another one bites the dust
  • *inhales sharply* that hurts
  • Gross
  • Seriously, how have I not stroked out yet
  • Love this partnership
  • NOOOOO…why? *cry hysterically*
  • Camouflage, in your face buttheads.
  • Work it girl
  • Is there something real?
  • Love triangle?…dun dun dun
  • *gasp* Definitely did not see that coming!
  • Suck on that Capital
  • Oh crap, this isn't good
  • End of Book One….NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

As you can see, I went on quite the emotional rollercoaster. I loved, I loathed, cried, laughed. I almost died from heart complications haha! In other words, a GREAT BOOK! I’m still nerd-ing out about it, it’s kind of insane (pretty sure my brother is getting sick of me pushing it on him). And I want, crave, NEED to get Catching Fire and Mockingjay in my hands soon so I can find out what happens (I’ve seen the synopsis of both of them on goodreads and they sound sick).

So yea, if you are one of the few that haven’t read this book I recommend that you do! It is a great dystopian novel full of action and is a super fast read. Plus there is a love story in there, so you will not be disappointed! Or you know you may need that $5 dollars at Amazon to qualify for free shipping.Winking smile I’m just saying, you don’t need to avoid this book, the hype that surrounds it is much deserved (unlike some sagas *shudders*).

My Rating: 5 out of 5 checkers

No comments:

Post a Comment