March 15, 2012

Slice of Life: Antiquing

Today my mom and I spent some quality time together by going around the area to do some shopping. We both love to go to antique stores and I was on the hunt for blue mason jars.

The store that we went to today is one that has purchased numerous items from the auction my parents held when my grandma passed. So every time we go I always look to see what is still there and think of memories, like the basket of cookie cutters that sits in the back room of the store and digging through them in my grandma's kitchen drawer around the holidays.

Not only is it full of my memories, but filled with others as well. I could spend hours upon hours making up stories to pieces I find in there. Plus it's always fun to learn something new. Today my mom was looking through the old tools and found quite the interesting farm tool (I wish I took pictures, but would I think of such things...no). It's a nursing preventer for calves. My mom and I were perplexed; I had never heard of such a thing. We thought Dad might know more about it, so in the pile it went. Along with an old Land o Lakes plate, anything cow related trips our trigger.

I am a sucker for old magazines, looking at the ads is one of my favorite things to do. Today, my mom was bitten by the bug though and bought nine life magazines from the year she was born. I found two magazines my self, one from the 40's and one from the 50's. I also found an animal anatomy book from the 50's that is great condition!

And remember those blue mason jars? I hit the mother load and would have bought them all if I could. I got some of all sizes and there were a some that even had glass lids held in place by a metal closure (like I said I wish I took pictures). I'm super excited to use those for a display when I get my own place someday.

1 comment:

  1. I too LOVE those old Mason jars...what wonderful gifts they have held over the years...what potential then depict..good find

    ReplyDelete