March 25, 2012

Slice of Life: TICK

tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick

I'm laying in bed
The clock mocks me
Wearily, I open my eyes

tick tick tick tick tick tick tick

I see them
Loved ones that have passed are surrounding me
I become pale...ghostly

Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick.

I am in disbelief
I scream but all they do is stare
The ceiling begins to crumble

Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick.

I shield my eyes from the brightness coming in
"No, no, no, no! I'm not ready for this!"
At once the silence is no longer & my favorite songs can be heard

Tick. Tick.

Fighting, I begin to rise
Crying, I beg for someone to do something
As I go higher I fear I am not heard

Tickety Tick

All at once the pull on me ceases
I plummet to where I began
As I land, loved ones turn to dust

BONG BONG

Jolted, I awake short of breath
I feel my heart beating rapidly
It was just a dream

TICK

2 comments:

  1. Holy Buckets! That "dream" had ME freaked out! I couldn't decide if I wanted to take a slow, deep breath for you to help you calm, and maybe embrace the experience with lost loved ones, or if I wanted to scream for you to be left alone with no out-of-body experience! Wow. Your use of time to build suspense, as well as your poetic writing was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very effective technique. It made me shiver.

    ReplyDelete