March 3, 2012

Slice of Live Challenge: Packing

Last night our apartment turned into a packing frenzy. You see, next weekend we leave for spring break which means an opportune time to take all the stuff we aren't using back home. That way we don't have as much to take back at the end semester, especially this year when we have mere hours to move out after we graduate! As the mound of boxes gets larger, I can't help but think that it was just a few short years I was moving into the dorms.

It was August 13, 2008: Move-in Day. The truck was already packed with high school memories, things from home, etc. However there were still a few things to shove in them when I woke up that morning. Once we got on the road, I spent most of the ride down fighting back tears just trying to prove to my parents (and myself) that I was ready for this next chapter to begin.

Two and a half hours later, we arrived in Ames but it would be another hour before we would arrive at the dorm (Freshmen Move-in Day means lines of cars to the freeway exit). When we got there, I was dropped off by the door to go check-in while my family found parking and began unloading.

I began the hunt for my CA's room thank goodness it didn't take long. She introduced herself, gave me some information and my key. It was official now, I was about to be on my "own" for the very first time. I made the long trek down the hallway to my room, put the key in the door and opened the door.

There she was, my roommate all bubbly and excited to be all moved in. She ran over and gave me a hug saying it was so great to finally meet me. (We had spent most of the summer talking on Facebook getting to know each other and figuring out what we were bringing). I was taken off guard, I am the type of person that has that protective bubble and when someone comes in I tense up. I felt bad, so quickly put on a happy smile.

I looked around and her side of the room was all put together and decorated (that's what I forgot, wall decorations). I put down my packet of information, put my key on my lanyard and ran to the parking lot meet back up with my parents.

We began the back and forth that comes with moving, thank goodness we  had one of those moving carts. My dad soon stopped, saying he would be better at just unpacking while my mom and I kept going back to the truck for more. Luckily it was just a few trips but sadly that meant that my parents had to leave. We said our goodbyes and I walked them to the door.

Those tears were then starting to break through. My roommate was gone for band orientation and I was in the room alone with my boxes. I needed a distraction so I unpacked and made everything look as pretty as I could. Unfortunately that didn't take as long as I had hoped. I got the TV hooked up with the cable as well as the DVD player (my dad would have been so proud). Next was trying to get the internet (what do you mean I need an ethernet cord?) to work. Ethernet-less I had to wait on that.

Now I was running out of things to do. I put in a movie and called one of my best friends. Talking to her I began to cry, all these things were running through my mind and how I was homesick. I knew she was the right person to try and snap me out of it. But try as she might I was still homesick.

It would be weeks (okay more like months) before I wasn't affected by my homesickness but with the help of my roommate and the friends I met made it go easier. Before I knew it I made a lot of great memories but there was also the fear of being kicked out of college...but that is a story for another day...