March 3, 2012

Slice of Live Challenge: Packing

Last night our apartment turned into a packing frenzy. You see, next weekend we leave for spring break which means an opportune time to take all the stuff we aren't using back home. That way we don't have as much to take back at the end semester, especially this year when we have mere hours to move out after we graduate! As the mound of boxes gets larger, I can't help but think that it was just a few short years I was moving into the dorms.

It was August 13, 2008: Move-in Day. The truck was already packed with high school memories, things from home, etc. However there were still a few things to shove in them when I woke up that morning. Once we got on the road, I spent most of the ride down fighting back tears just trying to prove to my parents (and myself) that I was ready for this next chapter to begin.

Two and a half hours later, we arrived in Ames but it would be another hour before we would arrive at the dorm (Freshmen Move-in Day means lines of cars to the freeway exit). When we got there, I was dropped off by the door to go check-in while my family found parking and began unloading.

I began the hunt for my CA's room thank goodness it didn't take long. She introduced herself, gave me some information and my key. It was official now, I was about to be on my "own" for the very first time. I made the long trek down the hallway to my room, put the key in the door and opened the door.

There she was, my roommate all bubbly and excited to be all moved in. She ran over and gave me a hug saying it was so great to finally meet me. (We had spent most of the summer talking on Facebook getting to know each other and figuring out what we were bringing). I was taken off guard, I am the type of person that has that protective bubble and when someone comes in I tense up. I felt bad, so quickly put on a happy smile.

I looked around and her side of the room was all put together and decorated (that's what I forgot, wall decorations). I put down my packet of information, put my key on my lanyard and ran to the parking lot meet back up with my parents.

We began the back and forth that comes with moving, thank goodness we  had one of those moving carts. My dad soon stopped, saying he would be better at just unpacking while my mom and I kept going back to the truck for more. Luckily it was just a few trips but sadly that meant that my parents had to leave. We said our goodbyes and I walked them to the door.

Those tears were then starting to break through. My roommate was gone for band orientation and I was in the room alone with my boxes. I needed a distraction so I unpacked and made everything look as pretty as I could. Unfortunately that didn't take as long as I had hoped. I got the TV hooked up with the cable as well as the DVD player (my dad would have been so proud). Next was trying to get the internet (what do you mean I need an ethernet cord?) to work. Ethernet-less I had to wait on that.

Now I was running out of things to do. I put in a movie and called one of my best friends. Talking to her I began to cry, all these things were running through my mind and how I was homesick. I knew she was the right person to try and snap me out of it. But try as she might I was still homesick.

It would be weeks (okay more like months) before I wasn't affected by my homesickness but with the help of my roommate and the friends I met made it go easier. Before I knew it I made a lot of great memories but there was also the fear of being kicked out of college...but that is a story for another day...

7 comments:

  1. This brings back memories of not just when I went away to college, but also when I took my son and left him at college. I don't know which is worse! thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I moved into a dorm room at CU in 1977. I still remember my mom making my bed, then them leaving and me dissolving in tears. I couldn't wait to go away, and actually liked CU, but those first few weeks were tough. My son goes 800 miles away in August, and I can't even bear to think about leaving him there…

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your brave. It's not easy to leave home and start on this journey of independence but it will be an exciting time for you. I can't wait to read the next SOL post. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your post! I'm tearing up because your post just had the same effect on me as your packing did on you. I'm also a college senior and was brought right back to my first day in the dorms. I remember saying goodbye to my dad and watching him walk out the door as I was left with my boxes. He later told me that it felt unnatural to leave me there. But college has been such a great experience. Life is full of new chapters, so thanks for sharing and making me think about this today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ending and starting new chapters is full of challenges and blessing! I think it's interesting how you noticed your personality differed from your roommates right away. It actually reminds me of when I went to kindergarten and I was gung ho! But my best friend wasn't quite ready, she was quiet and teary eyed. I couldn't even comprehend - this was going to be a party! But throughout life I reflect on that experience and I realize we all come at things differently and to honor and respect that! Good luck with your next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the reflection of this piece. And it's refreshing to see who you've become in the four years of college. The first day fears are universal to many college students.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh, CHristine. You brought back a lot of memories for me. I had my own share of tears when my dad left me on the Luther campus. You see, until that day, I hadn't stepped foot in Decorah. And with no facebook, one letter between roommates was all we had. And look how you have grown. And now stepping out and writing in the challenge. I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete