March 2, 2012

Slice of Life Challenge: Grandpa Knows Best


Grandpa and I ~1994

Do you see that man in the background? That would be my "Bestest Friend" growing up otherwise known as Grandpa Essen. When I was little I spent most of my time at my grandparents' house while my parents were at work. It seemed like everyday there was always something new and fun to do: help Grandma in the kitchen, go with Grandpa to Hardee's to pick up Biscuits and Gravy along with some Mini Cinnamon Rolls every Sunday for breakfast, sit and chat with all the friends that would visit and I could go on and on.

Grandpa and Grandma during Christmas ~1970s

My favorite days were those during baseball season. I'm sure you could probably guess which was our favorite team but I'll say it anyway: THE CHICAGO CUBS!!! Whenever there was a game being broadcast you can be sure that Grandpa and I had the TV/radio tuned in to watch the boys play, but mostly to listen to our favorite announcer Harry Caray. During every game we had our rituals, my favorite being singing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" with Grandpa and Harry.

Grandpa on his family's farm ~1930s

But my love for baseball wasn't the only thing that my grandpa instilled in me. He is one of the big reasons that I decided to come to Iowa State and study Dairy Science. Every now and then Grandpa would talk about how he used to work with cows and how much fun he had. I loved listening to him and watching his face light up. He even talked about how he was an auctioneer and at least once a month would take me to sale barns at the fairgrounds to look at the animals. I sure did have a great time at those auctions, seeing him in his element and absorbing all the information I could. Some times at these auctions we would see one of my grandpa's good friends who owned a dairy farm and if we didn't we would usually go stop out to visit. Grandpa knew how much I loved those visits going to see the cows and play with their calves. It's what every little girl dreams of.

Because of him, I am the person I am today...

15 comments:

  1. I love the old photos! It's beautiful the impact he had on your life. It's great you have that visual of his face lighting up when he would talk about working with cows. How great we can capture and preserve those special moments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspiring, I hope my grandson will have fond memories as you do of your grandpa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the grandparents...they are so important...lots of my students don't have grandparents nearby. You honored your grandpa with this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful memory. I love these type of slices where we dig into who we are and how we've gotten here.

    Katie
    http://coffeefueledmusings.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful tribute. You took be back to memories of my own grandfather who was a dairy farmer and loved Twins baseball. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a blessing to have such a wonderful relationship with your grandfather. I wrote about my granddaughter today and I hope that I have begun to build a strong, caring relationship with her. Your post not only made me think of my grandparents but of my dream to be a grandparent that touches my grandchildren in similar ways.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You shared a beautiful memory about your grandfather. Loved the role in played in your life and the inspiration he gave you. Photos were a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's nice the way you blended photos of yesterday with words of today to capture this relationship.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  9. What pleasant memories you have of your grandparents. I often remember mine and think of what I learned from them and then I remember the relationship that my kids had with my parents. I can only hope that I will have as strong a relationship with my twin granddaughters. Thanks goodness for Skype!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Because of him, I am the person I am today."
    When someone can say that about a person that is a true measure of a life well-lived.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. How lucky you are to have had this relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the images of you and your grandpa going to Hardee's and listening to the Cubs! Your words make me feel like I'm right there listening to Harry Caray with you! Your words have inspired me- I think I feel a Grandma Grace post coming on… Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful tribute to your grandpa!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful post and beautiful memories. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautifully written! I am very close to my Grampa, too. I tend to slice about him a couple of times every year during the SOLSC, and I KNOW that someday, those slices will be even more valuable to me!! Thanks for slicing!

    ReplyDelete